- Former Knesset Member
- Pro to the question "Is a Two-State Solution (Israel and Palestine) an Acceptable Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict?"
“The historic compromise between Israel and Palestine is based on the principle of ‘Two States for Two Peoples.’ The State of Palestine is designed to embody the historic personality of the Palestinian-Arab people and the State of Israel is designed to embody the historic personality of the Israeli-Jewish people, with the Arab citizens of Israel, who constitute a fifth of all Israeli citizens, being full partners in the state.
It is clear that the return of millions of Palestinian refugees to the State of Israel would completely change the character of the state, contrary to the intentions of its founders and most of its citizens. It would abolish the principle of Two States for Two Peoples, on which the demand for a Palestinian state is based.
All this leads to the conclusion that most of the refugees who opt for return will find their place in the State of Palestine. As Palestinian citizens they will be able to build their life there, subject to the laws and decisions of their government.”
“The Right of Return,” Media Monitors Network, Jan. 19, 2001
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Founding Member and Director, Gush Shalom (Peace Bloc), 1993-present
- Palestinian award for human rights, Palestinian Society for Human Rights Jerusalem (LAW), 1998
- Lower Saxony prize for human rights, 1998
- Kreisky prize for human rights, Vienna, 1997
- Columnist, Ma’ariv Daily
- Former Publisher and Editor-in-Chief, Ha-olam Haze news magazine, 1950-1990
- First Israeli to meet Yasser Arafat, Beirut, Lebanon, 1982
- Founding Member, Israeli Council for Israeli-Palestinian Peace, 1975
- The first Israeli to establish contact with Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) leadership, 1974
- 3 Term Knesset (Israeli Parliament) Member, 1965-1969, 1969-1973, 1979-1981
- Samson’s Foxes, Commando Unit, 1948
- Member of the Irgun, 1938-1942
- None found
- None found