- Original member of the band Pink Floyd
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Is a Two-State Solution (Israel and Palestine) an Acceptable Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict?"
“Because I’m a radical atheist, my personal preference would be a democratic, secular state with equal rights for all its citizens with a universal franchise, equal property rights, freedom to practice whatever religion you want. I’m very against theocracies…
If there were two secular states, why not? I care just as much about Jewish children as I do about Arab children. I care about people not having a future where they can work, earn a living, sit around a table with their family and plan for the future, and make decisions about water or the things that are really starting to crop up all over the world with what we’re doing with the oceans. Or broader questions of conservation and ecology or global warming, or this and that. You can’t focus on any of that stuff when you’re lobbing bombs at each other over a wall. There’s no time to do anything sensible or grown-up.
So, I don’t know what the answer is – but I know this isn’t the answer. This status quo is not the answer and you cannot, in my view, maintain a status quo that is built on the idea that it’s okay to expel people from their homes – whether it’s people’s homes in East Jerusalem now, or people who lived in villages during the Nakba [the Palestinian term for the creation of Israel in 1948]. Both things are wrong, and it’s very difficult to sustain a country based upon invasion and colonization.”
Gideon Levy, “Roger Waters Sets the Record Straight: I Hate Apartheid, Not Israel,” Haaretz, Aug. 2, 2015
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Solo Artist, Singer-Songwriter, 1984-present
- Original Member, Pink Floyd, 1965-1985, 2005
- Studied architecture at Regent Street Polytechnic (now the University of Westminster, UK)
- Twitter handle: @rogerwaters
- Full name is George Roger Waters
- Born on Sep. 6, 1943 in Great Bookham, Surrey (England)
- Chaired the Cambridge Youth Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (YCND) at age 15
- Quoted in: