- Edward Said Professor of Arab Studies and Director of the Middle East Institute at Columbia University
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Is a Two-State Solution (Israel and Palestine) an Acceptable Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict?"
“If it was possible? I think it [a two-state solution] would be a real way station towards a just resolution of this conflict… My problem is not with the two-state solution, because partition is problematic but it may be the least bad solution. My main issue with the two state solution is that I don’t see the current dynamic being reversed… We already have a one-state solution. There is only one state between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean. There are two or three levels of citizenship or non-citizenship within the borders of that one sovereign state that’s in control, or at least the state that decides everything that is important… So we have a one state solution, and that’s what we’re going to have for the foreseeable future, unless the Israelis or people who have the ability will persuade the Israelis to reverse the dynamic that has made a two-state solution virtually impossible.”
Chemi Shalev, “Full Transcript of Interview With Palestinian Professor Rashid Khalidi,” Haaretz, Dec. 5, 2011
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Director of the Middle East Institute
- Professor of Arab Studies specializing in the following areas: History of Syria, Palestine, Lebanon and Egypt; The Growth of Nation-State; Nationalism in the Arab World; Problems of Modern Middle East Historiography.
- DPhil, Oxford University, Modern History, 1974
- BA, Yale University, History, 1970
- None found
- Quoted in: