- Cofounder of the BDS Movement
- Con to the question "Is a Two-State Solution (Israel and Palestine) an Acceptable Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict?"
“For decades, efforts to bring about a two-state solution in historic Palestine have failed to provide justice and peace for the Palestinian and Israeli Jewish peoples, or to offer a genuine process leading towards them.
The two-state solution ignores the physical and political realities on the ground, and presumes a false parity in power and moral claims between a colonized and occupied people on the one hand and a colonizing state and military occupier on the other… the two-state solution condemns Palestinian citizens of Israel to permanent second-class status within their homeland, in a racist state that denies their rights by enacting laws that privilege Jews constitutionally, legally, politically, socially and culturally. Moreover, the two-state solution denies Palestinian refugees their internationally recognized right of return.
The two-state solution entrenches and formalizes a policy of unequal separation on a land that has become ever more integrated territorially and economically. All the international efforts to implement a two-state solution cannot conceal the fact that a Palestinian state is not viable, and that Palestinian and Israeli Jewish independence in separate states cannot resolve fundamental injustices, the acknowledgment and redress of which are at the core of any just solution.
In light of these stark realities, we affirm our commitment to a democratic solution that will offer a just, and thus enduring, peace in a single state.”
Cowritten with Ali Abunimah, Naseer Aruri, PhD, Oren Ben-Dor, PhD, George Bisharat, PhD, Haim Bresheeth, MA, Jonathan Cook, MA, Ghazi Falah, PhD, Leila Farsakh, PhD, Islah Jad, PhD, Joseph Massad, PhD, Ilan Pappe, PhD, Carlos Prieto del Campo, PhD, Nadim Rouhana, PhD, and the London One State Group, “The One State Declaration,” www.electronicintifada.net, Nov. 29, 2007
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Cofounder, BDS Movement, July 2005-present
- Cofounder, Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel (PACBI), Apr. 2004-present
- Former Research Fellow, Erasmus University Rotterdam (Netherlands)
- Former Choreographer and Dance Teacher, El-Funoun Palestinian Dance Troupe, Al-Bireh (Palestine)
- Former Choreographer and Dance Teacher, Watan Contemporary Palestinian Dance Company, New York
- MA, Philosophy and Ethics, Tel Aviv University (Israel)
- MS, Electrical Engineering, Columbia University
- BS, Electrical Engineering, Columbia University
- Born in 1964 in Qatar
- Grew up in Egypt
- Quoted in: