- Israeli Minister of Defense
- Con to the question "Is a Two-State Solution (Israel and Palestine) an Acceptable Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict?"
“The paradigm of the Two States will not bring about stability. No!… (The Two-State solution) is not relevant. Not relevant… (The Palestinian state) will undermine the State of Israel. From there, the confrontation will go on.
The State of Israel is ready to give the Palestinians an independent Palestinian state, but the Palestinians are not ready to give us an independent Jewish state… Every agreement you make will be the starting point of the next irredenta. The next conflict. The next war.
The establishment of a Palestinian state will lead at some stage to war. Such a war can be dangerous to the State of Israel. The idea that it is possible to set up a Palestinian state by 2008 and to achieve stability is disconnected from reality and dangerous… Bush’s vision is disconnected from reality.”
Uri Avnery, “VIEW: The Bogyman,” Daily Times, June 7, 2005
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Minister of Defense of Israel, Feb. 5, 2013-present
- Vice Prime Minister of Israel, Mar. 31, 2009-Mar. 18, 2013
- Minister of Strategic Affairs of Israel, Feb. 24, 2009-Feb. 5, 2013
- Visiting Fellow, Washington Institute, 2005-2009
- Distinguished Fellow, Shalem Center, Jerusalem, 2005-2009
- Chief-of-Staff, Israel Defense Force (IDF), 2000-2005
- Cofounder and Chair, American Committee on Jerusalem (ACJ), 1995-2003
- Commanding Officer, Central Command, 1998
- Commanding Officer for Intelligence, 1995
- Commanding Officer for Judea and Samaria, 1992
- Commanding Officer, IDF Paratroop Brigade, 1990
- BA, Political Science, University of Haifa, 1990
- Advanced studies at the command and staff college in Kimberly, England
- Twitter handle: @bogie_yaalon
- Born on June 24, 1950 in Kiryat Haim, Israel
- Also known as Moshe Smilansky
- Nickname is ‘Bogie’
- Quoted in: