- Professor of History at the University of California at Irvine
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Is a Two-State Solution (Israel and Palestine) an Acceptable Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict?"
“Termed a ‘parallel states’ solution, this concept has been developed over the last four years by a team of Israeli, Palestinian and international scholars, policymakers and even protagonists in the conflict. It is built upon a new understanding of sovereignty that breaks the previously exclusive link with territory, and reorients the basis of identity, citizenship and rights away from land and towards the relation between the state and the individual citizen. Citizenship would follow the citizen wherever she or he may live within the territory of Israel/Palestine, not the territory itself.
Building on existing institutions and frameworks of the Government of Israel and the Palestinian Authority, two parallel states, Israel and Palestine would be established, whose jurisdictions would be extended to Israelis and Palestinian citizens whether they lived in Israel proper, the West Bank, or Gaza.”
Cowritten with Mathias Mossberg, “Parallel States: A New Vision for Peace,” www.aljazeera.com, May 28, 2011
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Professor of History, University of California at Irvine, 2001-present
- Post-Doctoral Researcher, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, European University Institute, 2000-2001
- Post-Doctoral Researcher, Society for the Humanities, Cornell University, 1999-2000
- PhD, History, New York University, 1999
- BA, Comparative Religion and Biblical Studies, Hunter College
- Levine is a rock guitarist and has played with noted musicians such as Mick Jagger, Chuck D, Michael Franti, and Doctor John.
- Speaks Arabic, Hebrew, Turkish, Persian, Italian, French, German, and English
- Quoted in: