- Co-founder of Hamas and Foreign Minister of the Palestinian National Authority
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Is a Two-State Solution (Israel and Palestine) an Acceptable Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict?"
“We consider the Israelis our enemy. We will not allow anybody from Hamas to establish a dialogue or working relationship with them. We want to help others to cut their relations with them in the security level and other levels whether in industry or economy…
There is no peace with people who killed our people, occupied our lands and destroyed our homes. How can we reach a peace process with them? We can speak about hudna (truce), long-term ceasefire.
Peace depends on the restoration of our usurped rights. That means the restoration of all the lands occupied since 1948. How can we accept Israel as a legal existence while it occupies our land? We can reach a ceasefire with anybody, but peace with Israel is impossible.”
Interview with Aljazeera.net, Oct. 22, 2005
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Leader of the Hamas majority faction in the Palestinian Legislature, 2006
- Israeli airstrike destroyed his home and killed his son, 2003
- Deported to southern Lebanaon by Israeli government, 1992
- Hamas’ unofficial representative to the Palestinian Liberation Organization, 1990
- After Sheikh Yassin’s arrest, he assumed a top leadership role in Hamas, 1989
- Co-founder of Hamas, 1987
- Co-founder of the Islamic University in Gaza, 1978
- Former advisor to the Palestinian Health Minister
- Helped found the Palestinian Medical Society
- MD, Cairo University, Faculty of Medicine, 1971
- MS, Ein Shams University, General Surgery, 1976
- None found