- President of the Palestinian Authority (PA) and Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organizations (PLO)
- Pro to the question "Is a Two-State Solution (Israel and Palestine) an Acceptable Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict?"
“Our political objective is the ending of the occupation that has started in 1967, an independent sovereign Palestinian State and to find a just and agreed upon solution for the issue of the refugees and our strategic orientation and decision is that it is the negotiated solution that we are pursuing.
What we demand from the Israeli side, and what we expect from the Israeli side, is the cessation of aggression against our Palestinian people, and this necessitates the return to stability and order and security and we will fulfil all our commitments to achieve this purpose, and we expect from the Israeli side to stop the building of the wall, to stop the expansion of the settlements, and to release political Palestinian prisoners. All those steps would encourage the Palestinian people to pursue supporting progress on that level.”
Tony Blair’s press conference with Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah, Dec. 22, 2004
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Elected President of the Palestinian Authority, and sworn in on Jan. 15, 2005
- Elected Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization
- Named first Prime Minister of the Palestinian Authority, Mar. 2003, resigned Sep. 6, 2003
- Signed the Oslo Interim Peace Agreement, 1995
- Signed the Oslo Declaration of Principles, 1993
- Headed the PLO Department for National and International Relations, since 1980
- Member, Fatah Central Committee, 1964-2003
- Founding member of Fatah, 1957
- Csc, History, Oriental College of Moscow
- BA, Law, University of Damascus
- Born in 1935, Safed, Mandatory Palestine (Present State of Israel)
- 1982 doctoral dissertation was “The Secret Connection between the Nazis and the Leaders of the Zionist Movement”
- Also popularly known as Abu Mazen
- Quoted in:
- Does the Palestinian Authority (PA) or Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) Commit Acts of Terrorism?
- How Much International Aid Do the Palestinian Territories Receive?
- Should Palestinian Refugees Have the Right of Return?
- Is a Two-State Solution (Israel and Palestine) an Acceptable Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict?
- Should Israel Allow Settlements in the West Bank?