- Founder of the Council of Jewish Communities in Judea, Samaria, and Gaza (the Yesha Council)
- Pro to the question "Is a Two-State Solution (Israel and Palestine) an Acceptable Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict?"
“Harel wants Israel to annex all of what is known as Area C, the 60 percent of the West Bank created by the 1993 Oslo Accords and under complete Israeli control, where all the settlements are.
What would happen to the Palestinians in Area C and their dreams of a state?
‘They would be offered Israeli citizenship,’ Harel said.
Or they could leave. ‘They’ve left before,’ he said.
What about Areas A and B — the cities such as Hebron, Ramallah, Nablus and Jenin and more populated areas where most of the Palestinians live?
‘Open a big corridor,’ Harel said, ‘to Jordan.’
Sooner or later, Harel said, ‘Jordan will have to move from absolute kingdom to a constitutional monarchy, and then the Palestinians who are the majority in Jordan will take over. This will create a new entity, like it was before the Six-Day War. This might satisfy their desire to have their own state. This would be a Jordan-Palestinian state.'”
William Booth, “As Jewish Settlement Turns 40, a Founder Looks Ahead in the West Bank,” Washington Post, May 24, 2015
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Founding Chair, Institute for Zionist Strategies (Israel), 2005-present
- Columnist, Haaretz, 1991-present
- Chair, Association of the Paratroopers Who Liberated Jerusalem (Israel)
- Former Chair, Gavison-Medan project, Shalom Hartman Institute (Israel)
- Founder, Forum for National Responsibility, Rabin Center (Israel), 1999
- Founding Editor, Nekuda magazine, 1980-1996
- Founding Head, Council of Jewish Communities in Judea, Samaria and Gaza (the Yesha Council) (Israel), 1980-1995
- Cofounder, Gush Emunim (Israel), Mar. 1974
- Assistant Editor and Investigative Reporter, Ma’ariv weekend edition, 1972
- Former Managing Editor, Hayom Daily
- Former Paratrooper
- Member, Israeli-American Forum
- None found
- Also known as Yisrael Harel
- Awarded the Moskowitz Foundation’s 2015 Lion of Zion Lifetime Achievement Award
- Quoted in: