- Fellow at the Institute for Social Policy and Understanding
- Con to the question "Is a Two-State Solution (Israel and Palestine) an Acceptable Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict?"
“Get over it, folks. Not happening. The time for a two-state solution passed in the previous millennium…
It’s highly unlikely Israel will uproot its settlers, especially considering the strength of support they can summon in election after election.
Not to mention, I do not believe Palestinians would accept the kind of state that’s condescendingly offered to them in any such conversation about two-state ‘solutions’. Any Palestinian state would have to be demilitarized, and who, really, would accept that—that’s not sovereignty, that’s (at best) autonomy, and if you’re going to be merely autonomous, why even uphold the fiction of statehood?
Think about it: If you had been militarily occupied and attacked for years by the same country, would you accept a ‘sovereign’ state which had no ability to defend itself? Palestinians, furthermore, don’t just have every reason to be wary of Israel’s intentions, and its powerful military, but of many of their neighbors’ as well…
We’ve left the two-state solution long behind. God forbid we leave the one-state behind, too.”
“A One-State Solution for Israel and Why It Will Work,” religiondispatches.com, Mar. 24, 2015
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Fellow, Institute for Social Policy and Understanding
- Member, Board of the Multicultural Audience Development Initiative, New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art, Mar. 2011-present
- Senior Correspondent, Religion Dispatches, 2009-present
- Member, Advisory Board, Religion Dispatches
- Author, al-Jazeera, Foreign Policy, and The Huffington Post
- Guest expert, CNN, BBC, al-Jazeera, NPR, The History Channel, and Russia Today
- Columnist, Al Arabiya News Channel, 2013-Feb. 2014
- Director of Public Relations, Islamic Center, New York University, 2007-2009
- Former Senior Editor, The Islamic Monthly
- Former Fellow, Muslim Politics and Societies, Center on National Security, Fordham Law School
- MA, Middle East and South Asian studies, Columbia University
- Twitter handle: @hsmoghul
- Quoted in: