- Secretary-General of the United Nations (UN)
- Pro to the question "Is a Two-State Solution (Israel and Palestine) an Acceptable Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict?"
“Over the years, we have seen determined efforts to achieve a comprehensive, negotiated peace based on a two-state solution.
Instead of peace, however, there have been decades of missed opportunities and failures that have come at an enormous human cost. The prospect of a two-state solution continues to recede, with potentially explosive consequences.
In the coming weeks, a new Israeli Government will be formed. I strongly urge the incoming Government to reaffirm Israel’s commitment to the two-state solution and to take credible steps to foster an environment conducive to a return to meaningful negotiations, including a freeze of settlement activity.”
“Briefing to the Security Council on the Situation in the Middle East,” www.un.org, Apr. 21, 2015
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Secretary-General of the United Nations (UN), 2007-present
- Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Republic of Korea (ROK), 2004-2006
- Chef de Cabinet to the President of the UN General Assembly (GA), Han Seung-soo, 2001-2004
- Vice Minister to the President of the UN GA, Han Seung-soo, 2000-2001
- National Security Advisor to the President, 1996-2000
- Deputy Minister for Policy Planning and International Organizations, ROK Embassy, Washington, D.C., 1995-1996
- Special Advisor to the Foreign Minister, 1992
- Director-General for American Affairs, ROK Embassy, Washington, D.C., 1990-1992
- First Secretary, South Korea’s Permanent Observer Mission to the UN
- Chairman of the Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO PrepCom), 1999
- South Korean Ambassador to Vienna, Austria, 1998
- Vice Chairman of the South-North Joint Nuclear Control Commission, 1992
- MPA, Harvard University, 1985
- BA, International Relations, Seoul National University, 1970
- None found
- Quoted in: