- Late General Secretary of the Central Board of the Progressive Dawoodi Bohra Community
- Pro to the question "Is a Two-State Solution (Israel and Palestine) an Acceptable Solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict?"
“As for solution of Israel-Palestine problem I firmly believe that Israel should recognize the right of Palestinians to have their own state and Palestinians should recognize right of Israeli State to exist and both the states should co-exist in peace and harmony and both parties should abjure violence. The differences should be sorted out through peaceful dialogue. If Israel returns territories captured in 1967 war as per UN resolution, it will greatly help bring about solution of the problem.
I am totally against suicide bombing which results in killing of innocent civilians and results in more severe retaliation from Israel and then again Palestinians retaliate. This vicious circle of violence should end immediately. It is only in peace that humanity can prosper. Islam is a religion of peace and peace is very central to Islam, not war or jihad.
If Israel ends injustices against Palestinians and Palestinians end their violence. All of us should try our best to make this crucial area peaceful.”
From an mail to ProCon.org, Nov. 4, 2005
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- General Secretary of the Central Board, Progressive Dawoodi Bohra Community, 1977-2013
- Founder-Director, Institute for Islamic Studies (IIS), 1980-2013
- Cofounder, Center for the Study of Society and Secularism (CSSS), 1993-2013
- Recipient, Honorary DLit (Doctor of Literature), Delhi Islamic University, 2005
- Recipient Right to Livelihood Honarary Award, for “unceasing work for social justice and communal harmony,” 2004
- Recipient, National Communal Harmony Award, by the Government of India, 1997
- Recipient, Honorary DLit (Doctor of Literature), Calcutta University, 1993
- BSc, Civil Engineering, Vikram University (India)
- Born on Mar. 10, 1939 in Rajasthan (India)
- Died on May 14, 2013
- Received an honorary DLit from Calcutta University (India) in 1983
- Quoted in: